AJ

1/13/2010

Ringing in the New Year with my Uth!

Posted by AJ Huffman |

I started the New Year of 2010 the same way I started 2009, with my Youth Group from Immanuel Baptist Church. January 1st 2010 marked the one year anniversary of working with this group. And I must say it's been one of the most rewarding years of my life. I love these kids like they were my own, and I love to see the spiritual growth they are going through. No credit to me, all credit goes to God.

We started the night off with Hamburgers and Hot Dogs grilled by Jeff Meeks and Andy Norris. Then we split up into teams to go on a Video Scavenger Hunt all over Monticello. The kids had a blast doing things like Singing "Rubber Ducky Your The One" in a church members bathtub, Doing the Chicken Dance in front of Popeyes, riding through
Wal-Mart in a shopping cart, etc.

We then gathered back at the church to watch the videos,play Wii and charades, and get ready to countdown to 2010. Right after we celebrated the New Year, with a Birthday Cake for fellow Youth Leader Aaron Taylor, we turned down the lights to start the year off right with some Praise and Worship to our Father God. We got down to our devotion part of the night. I had gathered a bunch of dirty rocks, thanks to Jason and Karen Caldwell and Karen's brother Ricky. We gave each student a rock and a piece of chalk and told them to write on that rock there problems, concerns, fears, worries, etc. Then after reading a few passages from the Bible, I had them each go up to a bucket of water and wash what they wrote off. Not just wash the chalk off, but the dirt that was already on the rock.

This is what Jesus does for us at the cross, his blood washes us clean. So after they washed their rocks they placed them at the foot of the cross. What a way to start the New Year, by giving it all to Jesus.

0 comments:

Subscribe