AJ

1/21/2010

Passion 2010

Posted by AJ Huffman |



At the beginning of the year I attened the Passion 2010 conference in Atlanta, Georgia. I went with students and leaders from the UAM BCM and MBSF. I attended the very first Passion Conference way back in 1997 when I was in college. Man I'm getting old. There were about 25,000 college students crammed into a conference center, and man was that an incredible site that was to see! We filled the Phillips Arena and then overflowed into the Georgia World Conference Center. With bands and worship leaders like David Crowder, Matt Redman, Chris Tomlin, Christy Knockles, Steve Fee, Kristian Stanfil, Charlie Hall, and Hillsong United you know that the worship was AWESOME! And then speakers like, Louie Giglio, Francis Chan, Andy Stanley, Beth Moore, and John Piper.. the messages were awesome as well. God really spoke to me at Passion. It was a great time just to sit back and be still for a moment and let Him speak to me. But John Piper's message was the highlight of the conference for me. John Piper was a speaker at my first Passion Conference back in 1997. Piper's big phrase is "God is most glorified when we are most satisfied in him." And when I was a 20 year old kid that phrase and his entire message just blew my mind.

This year he blew my mind yet again, his message was entitled
"Is Jesus an Egomaniac?" It was incredible. One of my favorite quotes that he used went something along the lines of, "Human beings know deep down inside that they're not made to feel significant... they were made to stand on top of mountains and feel stunned in insignificance. Self-forgetfulness in the presence of Greatness is the capstone of joy." And then when he said, "So from the very beginning, we see that God made his exaltation and our salvation one piece. You don't have to choose between God's glory and your joy, because the apex of your joy is praise, and the apex of his glory is grace." I couldn't write down the things he was saying fast enough. If you want to read his message you can do so HERE!

I want to thank Rob Leonard from the MBSF and Tracy Reed from the BCM for letting me go on this trip with the group. It was an awesome experience that I hope I get to do again some day.

0 comments:

Subscribe