AJ

8/20/2006

Where where you when the world stop spinning?

Posted by AJ Huffman |

Amy and I dropped Drew off at Nanny and Papaw's and we headed out to Hollywood Cinema to watch World Trade Center. I didn't know what to expect when the movie started. I thought it would be about all the events that took place on that fatefull day of September 11th, 2001. It turns from the big picture of 9/11 into a personal account of two first responders (Port Authority Police officers John McLoughlin and William Jimeno) and the familes who agonized over their fate in the hours after the destruction of the World Trade Center towers.

I liked the way the movie protrayed the first responders as guys who get out of bed, go through their early morning routines, just like everyone else. Their day started out just like any other day, but then the unthinkable happened. I can't begin to imagine what went through the minds of those that were trapped in the rubble or even those that lost their lives. I can't even begin to imagine what the familes were going through. The fact that you didn't know if your loved ones were alive, hurt, or dead.

The movie did bring back memories of where I was and what I was doing on that fatefull day. Amy and I were living in Little Rock. Amy was going to graduate school and I was working for GHN Architects and Eningeers. Early that morning she called me and said that she was watching ABC's Good Morning America when the second plane had hit. I couldn't beleive what she was telling me, so I told my boss what had happened and we went and turned on the televison in the conference room. It was almost surreal as all of my co-workers and I stood there with our mouths wide open. It's hard to put into words what I was feeling that day, but I'll never forget how I felt. I can't beleive that it's been five years since it happened, it seems like just yesterday.

0 comments:

Subscribe