AJ

4/13/2009

Easter 2009

Posted by AJ Huffman |

Let me just get this out of the way here at the beginning. I had an awesome Easter. Started out last Wednesday as we had our dress rehearsal for the Live Crucifixion drama our Uth put on the Thursday, Friday, and Saturday before Easter. I am so blessed to be doing something, I feel the Lord has called me to do. And that is to work with youth. I couldn't ask for a better group of kids and other youth workers, to work with. That's not to say we don't have our problems every now and then, but they are great. I am so proud of them for the dedication they showed during this Live Crucifixion, they came on time, didn't fuss or fight, and showed the reverence that this drama deserved. And this group is a very young group, our oldest active member is 14. I played the part of a Roman Solider, and it really put in perspective what Jesus Christ went through to save us. Isaiah 53:5 says "But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed." Playing the part of the one that actually beat him and tore his flesh, really made it real to me.

Friday night, Rylee invited Drew over to her house to help her dye some Easter eggs. Drew had so much fun. Drew and Rylee have really become great friends. And it's so cute to see watch them as they play together. Ashlee and Leslie came over as well and they helped, Lexy and the kids with the eggs. Can't tell who had more fun, the kids or the grown ups.

Saturday morning Drew and I joined kids from our church as well as kids from the community at Immanuel Baptist's annual Easter Egg hunt. The kids had fun looking for more than 1,200 eggs. Then we enjoyed a hot dogs and chips, and after than we went home for some rest before the final night of the Live Crucifixion.

Sunday was a great time of worshiping our risen saviour. Immanuel was full, as I'm sure several other churches were that morning. I have never understood why some people only come to church on Easter and Christmas. I think it's mostly to be seen, but God knows the heart, and if that's the only reason you come to church once or twice a year, then why bother. But let me get off my soap box. Bro. Larry preached and awesome sermon, we had three great specials, and just a great time of fellowship with my church family. After church my family meet at my Mamaw's for Easter Lunch. BBQ, Stuffing, and thanks to Aunt Teri, some yummy green beans just for me. After lunch, it was back to the house for a short nap, then off to evening service. Though there weren't as many there as during the morning service, Bro. Larry preached another good sermon.

So all in all, I had one of the best Easters in some time. God is good, though the devil tries to get me down, I know God is still in control. Praise the Lord, the tomb is empty.

3 comments:

ash said...

LIKE i have been saying all week...He is more alive in my heart this Easter than ever before....watching so much happen over the past week good and bad and seeing God move in a mighty way has just been awesome....I wish more people would realize Christ is alive!!!! thanks for the post...

dean said...

not so sure that folks show up to be seen per se, i think church is just tradition they grew up with, and even though they've fallen away, there's something about the tradition ingrained in them growing up that compels them to show up for the Big Two... especially in the south.

it's like EVERYBODY'S saved down here (if you ask them), although generally the answer to that question is usually "i've been a member of __________ baptist church my whole life!" err, sorry, that wasn't what i asked you though...

anyway, glad you had such an awesome weekend, AJ!

AJ Huffman said...

I agree with you Dean on the tradition deal. And on the part of "Everybody thinks they are saved" if you ask them, most don't truly know what it means to really be saved. It's sad but true.

Subscribe